Going on a trip with a baby always entails a bit of a challenge. Apart from ensuring your infant’s comfort and safety, you need to keep your load light to make the experience as convenient as possible.
A baby carrier is the perfect accessory for bringing your baby with you on your travels. But don’t just settle for any carrier. You need to shop around and compare different brands and models to find the best fit for your baby.
Of course, not everyone has the opportunity to compare different models of baby carriers in person. Even if you have access to a shop that sells baby accessories, the available options will likely be limited.
This is why we’ve searched various retail sites to find the best options for your money. Below you will find an excellent selection of travel-friendly baby carriers, any of which should be perfect for you.
Things you should consider when selecting a baby carrier
Before we run down the list of traveling baby carriers, let’s go over some of the qualities that make baby carriers suitable for long trips. Consider the following characteristics when choosing a baby carrier for travel purposes:
- It must be comfortable for parents as well as babies
- The straps and buckles should be secure and durable, as well as easy to fasten and remove
- It should fit differently-sized adults comfortably
- It should fit baby securely without restricting motion too much
- It should be well padded
- It should be made of durable and easy to clean material that will withstand rigorous use
These characteristics should ensure a safe and comfortable travel experience with your baby. They also allow you and your partner to take turns carrying the baby so that you don’t get fatigued during the trip.
Best baby carriers for travel
Here’s a look at five of the best baby carriers on the market today. All these models are suitable for travel, and allow you to carry your baby safely and comfortably:
1. ErgoBaby Omni 360 Baby Carrier
The ErgoBaby Omni 360 is an excellent choice for newborn babies and toddlers. It allows for four different carrying positions, making it a versatile travel option. The heavily-padded material ensures comfort over long periods, and it even has a sun shade that keeps babies cool during warm and sunny weather.
- Accommodates newborns as well as toddlers
- Allows four different carrying positions
- Unique design keeps babies comfortable for hours
- Comes with a cover that protects babies from the sun
- It can get quite hot in warm weather
- It is a bit bulky
2. Baby Bjorn Carrier
The Baby Bjorn Carrier is a good choice for newborns and babies up to a year old. It is a bit on the small side, so it might not be suitable for older babies and toddlers. But it will accommodate smaller babies just fine and provides excellent back and neck support. Light and portable, it has easy to fasten straps and buckles that provide a secure hold. It also comes with an attractive price tag, making it a feasible option for those looking for an affordable travel solution.
- Light and easy to handle
- Just the right size for babies up to a year old
- Affordably priced
- May not fit larger babies and toddlers
3. Manduca Carrier
The Manduca Carrier allows for four different carrying positions, giving you a wide range of options to suit any given travel situation. It is made from durable material that can withstand the rigors of the road and is heavily-padded for superior comfort and support. The straps and fasteners are well-built to ensure total safety, although they can a bit confusing to fasten at first.
- Heavily padded for superior comfort
- Allows for four carrying positions
- A bit confusing to put on and take off
4. LilleBaby Carrier
The LilleBaby Carrier is a convenient carrying solution that accommodates toddlers as well as infants. It has a unique design that keeps babies cool even when temperatures rise, so you can rest assured knowing that your child is comfortable on hot days.
The LilleBaby Carrier allows for six positions, including back facing, front inward facing, front backward-facing, front fetal, front infant, and sideways. This gives you a wide range of options to carry your baby comfortably depending on the situation.
- Keeps babies comfortable for hours
- Cool design makes it suitable for hot days
- Allows for six carrying positions
- A bit difficult to put on and take off
5. Infantino Cuddle Up Carrier
The Infantino Cuddle Up Carrier is an ergonomic carrying solution that works well for travel, day trips, and casual strolls. It allows for face-in and face-out front and back carry positions, giving you a good range of options with which to carry your baby comfortably.
The Infantino Cuddle Up Carrier comes with a convenient removable character hood that you can use to shade your baby from the sun or open up for better ventilation. With thickly-padded shoulder straps and a waist belt that provides excellent support, it’s a great choice for different body types and lifestyles.
- Ergonomic design
- Front and back carry
- Comes with a removable character hood
- Gets a bit hot
- Some babies might be uncomfortable in the face-out position
Traveling with an infant or a toddler can be challenging, but the experience can be much more enjoyable for you and your baby by choosing the right carrier. Take the time to consider your baby’s needs and comfort, then make your choice based on your lifestyle and travel preferences.